S.A.F.E. Focus® - a S.A.F.E. ALTERNATIVES® Program
S.A.F.E. ALTERNATIVES® Philosophy:
* There is only pain, not relief, with self-injury. Self-injury negatively affects all aspects of a person's life: physical, mental, emotional and social.
* There is no compromise with self-injury. The goal is complete abstinence.
* Self-injury is a choice, and therefore each person is capable of making different and better choices.
* Because injuring is a choice...only the one who injures can keep themselves safe.
S.A.F.E. Focus® Group Goals:
1. To increase the awareness of destructive behaviors
2. To increase the awareness of the consequences of destructive behaviors
3. To increase the awareness of feelings
4. To learn to identify feelings
5. To learn to tolerate feelings
6. To learn constructive techniques to verbalize and process feelings
7. To apply these constructive coping techniques to daily living